- Barbara is a full-time artist based in Ottawa, Ontario who paints the people and places she sees all around her. Her paintings are in private collections in Canada and internationally. Barbara’s work is represented by the Ottawa Art Gallery‘s commercial gallery, Galerie Annexe , located at 50 Mackenzie King Bridge, next door to the Rideau Centre in downtown Ottawa.
- Barbara just completed a solo exhibition entitled “Market Life” that was on display at the Galerie Old Chelsea in Chelsea, Quebec from 22 June to 11 July 2018. That show featured paintings from her “Market Life” series that celebrates marketplaces from near and far.
- Barbara will be exhibiting at the SELECTIONS 2018 show at the Trinity Art Gallery in the Shenkman Arts Centre in the fall of 2018.
- Barbara has studied drawing, painting, life-drawing and portraiture at the Ottawa School of Art and portrait painting at the Winter Academy at Big Arts in Sanibel, Florida. She first worked with acrylic paints in 2005 at a life-changing St. Lawrence College Summer School of the Arts workshop taught by the Eastern Ontarian artist, Anne Barkley, SCA and has painted exclusively in acrylics ever since. Barbara has also studied with Canadian painters Brian Atyeo, CSPWC, OSA (in 2015 and 2016) and Mike Svob, SFCA (in 2017).
- Barbara was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba. As a teenager growing up in Montreal, Quebec, Barbara thought she might be set on a future in commercial art. But, things didn’t exactly unfold that way and she ended up going to McGill Law School and on to a career as a federal government lawyer practising regulatory law in the National Capital Region. Through it all, the right brain stimulation that art provided was a necessary balance to the left brain demands of her day job. Finally, Barbara devoted herself to painting on a full-time basis in 2014.
- In September and October of 2017 Barbara exhibited in the SELECTIONS 2017 show at the Trinity Art Gallery in the Shenkman Arts Centre. This was a juried show that featured the work of 40 local artists and was hosted by the AOE Arts Council. Two of Barbara’s paintings were selected for the 2017 Open International Online Exhibition of the Society of Canadian Artists that took place from March 15 to June 15, 2017. She also participated in the Art & Parcel holiday art sale at the Ottawa Art Gallery in November and December 2016. Barbara’s painting “Studio Self Portrait”, shown above, was featured in the Figureworks 2015 juried art show at Saint Brigid’s Centre for the Arts in Ottawa. A show of some of Barbara’s other paintings took place in 2015 at Petit Bill’s Bistro, located in the Wellington West neighbourhood of Ottawa. Barbara’s paintings have also been exhibited during Studio Tours in April/May 2016 and May 2014, and at the 2007 Landmark Artists’ Exhibition in Ottawa.